Almost within reach
June 3, 2009
As some of you know, D and I purchased a house a few months ago and have been fixing it up little by little. We are hoping to move in some time next month and are starting to look at what new furniture we will need. I had hatched a moderately evil plan to take my grandmothers dinning room set but as she told my mother last week, she is not dead yet, and that plan failed miserably. Appalled by the prices of decent looking dinning sets I started to look on Craig’s list and other places to find a table we could live with until we could afford the table we wanted. Then, yesterday, at approximately 3pm est, I hit the craigs list jack pot. In the pages of hideousness and crap, nestled between an Ikea coffee table and a used mattress* there is was… a Design Within Reach 6 person dining room table for $200. The moments that followed were a little hazy but I am pretty sure the discovery was followed by the following five things.
1) Freak. Assume that my eyes have failed me and there is no WAY the DWR in the description really means it is from Design Within Reach.
2) E-mail D to see what he thinks. Sit at wait for his response with all the calm and patience of a Labrador puppy. Receive confirmation that D loves the table. Become obsessed with hearing back from the owner to see if table is still available.
3) Continue to act like a Labrador puppy. Check my e-mail 18 times in the next 10 minutes to see if he has responded. Hear that the table is still available and do a victory dance at my desk.
4) Do not even try to keep my cards close to my chest. Confess to the owner that I really want that table and am happy to come by in 2.5 hours to get it.
5) Realize that there is no way the table is going to fit in or on my car under any circumstances. Call D freaking out. Develop a strategy to borrow an SUV from anyone who will lend it to us. Make a plan to go get the table after work the next day. Spend the next 12 hrs obsessing over the table.
We are planning on getting it today after work. Is it way too much to ask for it to still be there and to be as sturdy and heavy as I have hoped? I am serious about that table.
* Who buys a used mattress? I am all about vintage and recycling and being green but there are just some things in this world you want new. A mattress has got to be one of them.