Lets play ball…
June 1, 2009
Last week D and I visited our good friend B&C in Chicago. Among the many awesome activities they planned for us (whirly ball anyone) we went to watch a Cubs game at Wrigly. Here were five highlights.
1) Our seats. Yup, we sat here: (and this photo was taken with a crappy iphone camera)
2) Our neighbors. When you sit 8 rows behind home plate you get to meet a lot of interesting people. That guy in the tan hat and jacket was just one of the many scouts* at the game keeping stats and measuring fast balls with one of those guns you see in movies like Major League.**
3) Our entertainment. Strait from ESPN, and courtesy of YouTube, here is Mr. T throwing out the first pitch and singing Take Me Out to the Ball Game.
4) Our favorite good Samaritan. There was this adorable little kid with his dad a row in front of us who must have spent the first 5 innings begging for an enormous bag of cotton candy. By the 7th inning stretch his dad relented and he got it. Five bites into the bag the kid realizes that much sugar may in fact kill him, so he decides to share. He opens his bag and walks up and down the row asking perfect strangers if they want any. His kindness and general awesomeness was rewarded my Mr. T who happily signed his glove and took lots of pictures.
5) Our dinner: beer and popcorn and peanuts and ice cream and beer. Life just does not get any better.
*I was shocked to see how friendly and cool the scouts were. After they got their first few readings they pretty much passed around the gun and let their whole row give it a try. How cool is that?
** I happen to think Major League was a good move. Judge away.