Just a typical day at the office
March 11, 2009
After I posted some picture of my office last week, I had some questions about what the heck it is that I do. I work at a museum and for the most part my job is fairly basic and boring. Here are five of my job functions and some examples.
1) I set up and organize committee meetings, which can be quite challenging. For example: This morning I get an e-mail from my boss. “you need to take so-and-so off your committee list, he resigned from board to take a post with the new administration”. Of course he did. Some people will go to great lenghts to avoid committee work.
2) I do basic problem solving and trouble shooting. For example: Yesterday I walk down to get a cup of coffee and the first floor of our building is FREEZING. I have a conversation that goes something like this.
me: Why is it so cold down here?
co-worker: we are measuring all the open doors
me: ok, I’ll bite…why are we measuring all the open doors?
co-worker: some paintings are being returned from loan, and one of them is too big to fit through any of the doors. So, we have to measure them and all the windows to try to figure out how to get it back inside.
me: If we got the painting out of the door, shouldn’t we be able to get it back in the door?
co-worker: One would think…
3) I set up tours and special visits. For example:Last week I get a phone call from the VFW who wants to set up a visit. Assuming it is a local organization that wants to set up a tour I send the message over to my assistant. Three minuets later she comes rushing into my office to tell me this is not a local chapter but the head of the entire organization. Apparently the woman in charge of all lady veterans of foreign wars wants to come and visit. And apparently this woman travels with a 25 person entourage. Yup, 25 people to ensure the health, safety and happiness of a chick who is not related to the first family.
4) I do some basic business travel. For example: This time next week I will be leaving for a 10 day trip…..to Hawaii.
5) In interact with our visitors and objects. For example: I actually get to play with those harpoons.
I know , I know, you are still pissed about the free trip to Hawaii. What can I say? I have the best job ever.