Hi honey, I’m home.
January 21, 2009
I like to think of myself as a pretty modern woman. I have a post graduate degree and a job I love. I did not change my name when I got married* and I still have my own checking account. However, today D and I were talking about something involving money and the new house and it occurred to me that in a lot of ways, our relationship could not be any more stereotypical. For example:
1) I do the cooking and D deals with the money. I know that if I sat down with all the financial stuff I have the mental capacity to figure it out. I also know that if D sat down with a box of rice and read the directions he could steam it with some success**. But, neither of us bothers because we both know the other one is happy to do it.
2) I do the cleaning and D deals with the cars. As you may remember, mechanics make me cry and car talk*** gives me a migraine. A clean bathroom on the other hand is virtually free and always makes me happy.
3) I buy the cards and gifts and D does all the assembly. I am happy to report that in my life I HAVE managed to assemble a few things but when it comes to anything from Ikea or directions bound in a book…it is D 100%. On the flip side, I don’t think D knows what a hostess gift is, let alone where to buy one, where we keep them or when it is appropriate to bring it along with us.
4) I buy the groceries and D takes out the trash. Yes, I know that I am capable of taking out the trash but it smells and I don’t like it. And in a pinch D can run to the market and get something I have forgotten but it usually ends with a phone call that goes like this.
D: I can’t find Thyme
me: Are you in the produce section?
D: Yes, it is not here.
me: Go to where the carrots are, not the bagged carrots the fresh carrots. Now go to the left, it is in a clear package marked fresh Thyme.
D: Why do you always send me for the hidden stuff.
me: D, it is not hidden. It is thyme.
5) I print out the directions and D does the driving. I do not think I need to expand upon this. At all.
*Ok, to be perfectly honest the reason I did not change my name is because I have just been too lazy to go down to social security, wait in line, change it, change my credit cards, change my license and spend three years correcting people about the pronunciation of my new name. It really has nothing to do with being forward thinking or independent at all.
** To be fair, D generally cooks for me once a year. He might do it more but I insist on hovering and reminding him that the All-Clad pans are NOT non-stick and I will kill him with my bare hands if he does anything to hurt them. People heal, All-Clad is lifetime investment.
*** Click and Clack are the exception because Click and Clack are hilarious