Good times never seem so good, so good, so good
August 25, 2008
Friday night I went out with a bunch of girlfriends to celebrate a good friends birthday. A bottle of champagne and 6 pitchers of sangria later (for 7 women; don’t judge) we ended up at a bar singing and dancing along with a great regional band. After we had screamed through a few sets it occurred to me that there are at least 5 (certainly more, but for my pourposes I will go with my 5) songs that all groups of women love and will instantly start dancing to. They are:
1) Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond – This is a great one to start off the night. No matter how few lyrics you know, everyone can sing back “SO GOOD, SO GOOD” which is usually accompanied by pointing back at the band or your friends.
2) Livin on a Prayer by Jon Bon Jovi (or JBJ as we like to call him)- This one almost always involves one friend taking the hand of another friend as she belts out “take my hand and we will make it- I swear” followed by a loud “Ohhhh, ohhhh, Living on a prayer” .
3) Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard- Very few people actually know all the words to this song, so the ones who do sing them very loudly. The others bop their heads and wait for the refrain when they scream “Pour your sugar on MEEEEEEEH” and “I’m hot, sticky sweet, from my head to my feet, yeah”
4) Laid by James – Women LOVE this song. Most don’t get through the first stanza but almost everyone knows “But she only comes when she’s on top” at which point they give their friends a knowing look thinking they are certainly the only ones in the bar that share this little secret and in fact, the song was written about them. For the rest of the song they just yell out the “weeee, eeeeee, eeee”
5) All Night Long by AC/DC – Who doesn’t love this song? Again, very few people know all the lyrics but I challengeyou to find girls who don’t love and identify with “knockin’ me out with those American thighs” especially as they down their 1000th alcohol calorie for the evening.
What songs get you dancing? What have I missed?