Food Friday: Almond Macaroon Ice Cream Cake
July 25, 2008
I found this recipe a few years ago in an article titled “chill out”, so I thought it would be perfect for Anna’s theme this week of cold or frozen desserts. It is a little bit of work, but worth it and if you or someone you know has a wheat allergy (as I do) the macaroons offer a great alternative to a traditional crust. It of course, has five fabulous ingredients .
2 pt chocolate ice cream
1 pkg (13 oz) soft coconut macaroons
2 pt vanilla Swiss almond ice cream (Haagen-Dazs is really good)
1/2 cup chocolate shell ice cream topping
1 cup slices almonds, toasted
1. Remove chocolate ice cream from freezer, let stand 15 minutes until slightly softened.
2. Meanwhile, lightly coast an 8×3-in springform pan with nonstick spray. Pull apart half the macaroons to make coarse crumbs. Press lightly over bottom and 1/2 in. up sides of pan. Spread chocolate ice cream evenly over crust.
3. Break remaining macaroons into coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over chocolate ice cream. Freeze 45 minutes or until almost firm.
4. Soften vanilla Swiss almond ice cream as above. Spread evenly over top of cake and freeze at least 4 hours until firm.
5. Pour chocolate topping on middle of cake, tilt pan to cover top completely. Let topping harden 5 minutes.
6. Wrap pan with a warm, damp kitchen towel 1 minute to loosen sides. Remove pan sides, pat almonds onto sides of cake. (if ice cream is too hard for almonds to stick, leave cake at room temperature 5-10 minutes)
Note: cake can be made up to one week ahead (or whenever you have time). Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil and freeze.