“Republicans drank whiskey neat, and thanked their lucky stars”
February 4, 2009
Since it has become painfully apparent that some of our political figures are in desperate need of a review session; here are five points they may want to remember.
1) In the United States of America we have something we call a Democratic system. In that system, the people elect officials to serve in various capacities in government. Those elected officials are responsible for making laws and providing services.
2) Some of the laws and services require money to run. To pay for them, the officials collect money from the people through something we call taxes. The people pay taxes on everything from chewing gum to income and no one is exempt*.
3) Sometimes the taxes can get confusing. Some people are very good at understanding taxes and we call these people accountants. You can hire an accountant to do your taxes if you are unsure how to pay for the private limo service someone has given you or for your second maid.
4) If you don’t pay your taxes you get in trouble. If you don’t pay your taxes and you are in the running to be nominated by the new president for an important post, bad things happen. Not only do you make yourself look like a greedy moron, you make your party looks stupid and you force people to question the vetting system of the the party leader (in this case, that would be the president).
5) So, lets review. PAY YOUR TAXES. Yes, that includes all of you who think that you are better than us little people, above the system or impervious to the law. After all, you idiot, you ARE the law.
PS: If anyone recognizes the where this post title is from, you have great taste in music.
*Not-for-profits are sort of exempt, but they are organizations not private citizens and quite frankly, it seems like you profit from just about everything.