92 Years of Experience
July 21, 2008
I spent this past weekend in NY to be with my grandmother for her 92nd birthday. In honor of 92 years of laughter, loss, love and life, here are the 5 things I learned from my grandmother.
1) How to properly boil and egg and make a pot of chicken soup.
2) That one very nice and properly fitting black dress is worth ten ill fitting ones. The same goes for the matching shoes and hand bag.
3) No matter how casual the meal or comfortable the company, you never serve guests out of the pot and a well set table can make even the most basic meal elegant.
4) To be proud of your youth and unashamed of the choices you have made. To remember the hard years fondly and the easy years longingly.
5) That there is no shame in crying for the ones you have loved and lost. The tears that fall when you remember the way your friend wore her hair or the way your husband greeted you at the door every day for 48 years honors their life as much as it mourns their death.